Monday, April 2, 2012

Up close with: Artist, Rie

Monday, April 2, 2012
Today's post is a special feature of a Japanese Artist, Rie who is currently residing in the Pearl of the Orient- Penang as resident artist. In conjunction of her recent Rie Mandala Paper + Fabric Collage Art Exhibition with Japanese Foundation Kuala Lumpur, we had the chance to interview with Ms.Rie and share the insights of this artist with you:

Photo credits to Rie
The Artist, Rie
     Tell me about yourself 
(before and after your current venture) 
and where are you from?
I move quite often (also travel a lot.) When I was a student in Okinawa, Japan I visited Bali in year 1999, since thenI’ve been in and out of Bali Indonesia (in 2002 lived in Taiwan for a year, in 2003 lived in Jogjakarta, Indonesia for a year) but in 2004 moved my base to Kyoto, Japan, then again in year 2009 moved back to Bali. The last 6 months I stayed in Penang as an artist in residence. After this exhibition in KL I’m going back to Bali.  Originally I am from Fukuoka, Japan.  

What sort of medium do you use?
Paper and fabric collage

photographed by Ryoji Hosoda
Melodies of Time by Rie
When did it start and why?
Around 2003 started collage slowly (was focused on wood block printing), but maybe since I was a child anyhow I’ve been cutting and pasting some paper I find around me.

What makes it stand out? / How are you promoting yourself as an artist?
Holding exhibitions with a theme.

photographed by emile satyawarman
Whisper by Rie

How did you come up with the name of your current series of your exhibition? 
What does it mean?
This is about voices of paper and fabric that are discarded. I hear them always in my life so this time expressed their new breath in a world called “whispers of Life” by making them dance on panels and lamp.

photographed by emile satyawarman
Whisper by Rie

Do share with us about your recent show.
Residency program exhibition at RBS gallery in Penang island.

What are your strengths? / How would you describe your style?
Paper and fabric collage: many layers of fine cut circles.

photographed by emile satyawarman
Whisper by Rie

What inspires you? / What is your driving force for you as an artist?
When I meet interesting paper / material. When some ideas are fallen into me.

Where do you want to be 1, 5, 10 ,etc years from today?
Somewhere I feel grounded and connected with the nature.

What are your significant memories so far from this experience?
Very professional support from the gallery (12 Art space) and The Japan Foundation

Where are you based?
I am based in Bali

What sort events did you / have you participated in?
Art exhibitions,  world music performance as a musician for about 6 years, 
collage live performance
  
photographed by emile satyawarman
Whisper by Rie

Any inspiring quotes to share with others or advice?
"Patience makes peace"


Biz Card: http://riemandala.blog.shinobi.jp

Credits:
Artist photo (top)- courtesy of Rie. Retrieved from artist's website
Melodies of Time- photographed by Ryoji Hosoda
Whisper ( All four photos) - photographed by Emile Satyawarman
Special thanks to Ms. Aini of Japan Foundation Kuala Lumpur for arranging the interview and providing the photos.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder with the copyright of the artwork-images displayed here.
    As far as i know, these images of Rie's artworks have copyright attached. And if there's and we ignored it by not mentioning it along, it violates the Copyright of the owner - which is the photographer's. So can you put along the credit of the photographer for the images you used here. I think Japan Foundation as the organizer has done their duty by mentioning the credit of the photographer.
    But here i can't see you have done it.

    It is about respecting Copyright law. And respecting the art itself. Don't you agree :)

    emile satyawarman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your'e very much welcome Lynn.
      so warm to read your reply. Appreciate it so much. Keep up the writing spirit :)

      best regards.
      emile

      Delete
  2. How wonderful to see you feature my remarkably talented and super sweet friend Rie Mandala here.

    Sadly I couldn't get to Malaysia for her exhibition so I'm very appreciative that thanks to you - and to Ryoji and Emile's lovely fotos - I can see some of the works she created here.

    Rie and I are paper addicts and I'm in awe of how she transforms so many little deftly hand-cut circles of paper into breathtaking art, giving the works depth, fluidity and even a luminescent quality.

    I look forward to meeting up with her again in Bali sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete