Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Watch: Georgia O' Keefe (2009)

Tuesday, January 8, 2013
via


The Great Georgia
When I was watching the movie- Georgia O'Keefe (2009), I was taken in by her life-story and her creative gift. It wasn't the same as how I admired Van Gogh for his expressive vivid colours that reflects his emotions, but I admired the great Georgia O'Keefe for her courage and awareness as a female artist- especially when facing difficult times. Georgia truly is the au naturel creative goddess.

About two years ago, I blogged about Georgia O'Keefe when The Artsy Craftsy was just merely a "hobby" blog. This post was probably hidden deep in the blog's archives, and so I thought, with the new aim I wish to pursue, I should repost this again:


There are times I would find Wikipedia very useful especially when I am deeply curious about a historical figure or a particular mysterious place, like the Bermuda Triangle.

My recent search was Georgia O’Keefe. A great American artist and woman as an example to other aspiring artist too. I made a mental note to research about her when I was watching the 67th annual Golden Globe awards. At first, I was surprised that there was a biopic on our great artist, and later on thought our movie industry should expose the lives of the artists from our past more. I had goosebumps when the biopic was nominated, haha!

Born November 15, 1887, daughter of dairy farmers Georgia Totto O’Keefe was a great figure in American Art in the year 1920s’, created an edge in the modern American artistic style of art. Georgia was known for her paintings of flowers, rocks, shells, animal bones, and landscapes in which she would transform them in expressive abstract forms.

Surfing for her paintings to show examples to my readers, I just want to share one thing which I hope some can relate to me. “Her colours are vivid, expressive and bold. She gives life to each of her paintings. It’s like she is silent, and she speaks with her brush.”

Georgia has a heart of a true woman and a lover. She is beautiful in her soul. Georgia attended art lessons when she was a child, and learned from a local watercolorist. Throughout, she received art education and studied it avidly. Probably thinking she would never paint, although somehow she was inspired to paint again sometime in the 1912 and attended summer classes at a university where she learned how to express herself harmoniously through her compositions with light and dark contrasts. Her gift flowed from then on. Georgia served as a teaching assistant and later returning to Texas to teach in an art department at a local university.

Georgia met the man of her life, Alfred Stieglitz, an artistic photographer. After establishing a deep profound relationship with Georgia, Alfred left his wife for her.

Georgia spent her life painting, she made a name and many were moved by her paintings. I would say she definitely led an adventurous life making art and falling in love. When I look at her photo which was taken in year 1950, she looked mysteriously beautiful as ever even though she was old. Maybe the blooming flowers with vivid colors and close up meant something. Maybe all flowers were love to her. Maybe painting bones meant death to her. That at the end of the day, when our time is up, we are nothing. Our body is nothing but matter. And in this materialistic world that we are in, has tormented everybody mentally and physically. In March 6, 1986, Georgia died at the age of 98. She lived a very interesting and remarkable life. If ever you have a chance to watch the biopic of Georgia O’Keefe, or read about her, please do so. Coincidentally, I planned to write this article in February without realizing I am actually only releasing this in this month, March; Her death anniversary.
Georgia O'Keeffe, 'Hands' 1918,
photographed by Alfred Stieglitz


Source by:

No comments:

Post a Comment