Monday, April 22, 2013

How to make everyday a creative inspiration with a mini prompt journal

Monday, April 22, 2013
Mini Prompt Creative Journal
DSC_1448
I know how it feels like waking up everyday feeling demotivated; I really do.

At one point in my life, I wondered why Life was being unfair to me, when really, it was me who was being unfair to myself. This went on for quite some time actually, waking up everyday to the same feeling, same routine, same job, same everything. Until one point, when I finally had enough of it, I told myself, I want to start making things happen for myself.

I will be real with you in this post; for some individuals, perhaps seeing a therapist is much more convincing. Some see professional counsellors, some read, some go into meditation.

I always wanted to see a therapist too, but I know that I can’t afford the per-session fee and plus time doesn't permit me to do so because I work everyday.

It was then I realized, I had to make do with what I have, and rely on myself to heal my Self. With my profound journey in art, at that time, I decided to use art & creativity as a way to heal myself from within.

I started by feeding myself motivations everyday so that I may get up everyday feeling Yes! Another great day! 

I started with writing every morning- listing out what I aim to feel or do. These morning-writings helped me a lot, and so with this, I have decided to share with you an example of how you can create your own mini prompts for lift you up everyday.

Making a Mini Prompt Journal Page
DSC_1450
Mini prompts are very simple. All it takes is for you to know what you want to:
1- Feel
2-Say to yourself as a reminder to stay positive

There are many ways to do this. For some people, they would prefer to keep a little notebook with them, and write one sentence (think twitter style) every morning. Some would keep a sketchbook and use coloured markers because it is convenient, and some would do collage instead.

DSC_1455

Also about Mini Prompt Journaling
DSC_1449I know some individuals use mini prompts to:
-Record their daily lives
-Document inspirations
-Record daily motivations

As you can see, it is flexible. You can explore various ways to make use of Mini Prompt journaling. It is all up to you and most importantly, how good it makes you feel when you expressing yourself.

Mini Prompt Journaling with Collage
DSC_1452Using collage technique for mini prompt journaling is easy. In fact, it is one of the easiest and fastest, most convenient ways for this quick inspiration journaling.

All you need is a:
-Magazine
-Basic tools like scissors, glue and your preferred markers and embellishments
-Sketchbook of your preferred size (I like small ones, easy for carrying around with me; hence the word ‘Mini’)

Tip: You can even look into making your own Mini Prompt Journal into a book; that means you can explore book-making techniques. It is fun!

Start Making Prompts
DSC_1453 *See images for reference

-Every morning or everyday (as often as you like) take a moment to identify how you feel or what you want to feel
-Look through magazines and cut out images or words that inspires you
-Paste them into your sketchbook page. There are no limits to pasting how many page a day, it is up to you. You can even fit everything into ONE page, making a collage composition
-Decorate it, draw on it, write on it or leave it be. It is your sketchbook, your world, your life, your inspiration and you are in control of yourself.

Now you know that it is that easy, I hope you enjoy yourself making your own mini prompts! Happy creating!

Photos via

No comments:

Post a Comment