Monday, July 1, 2013

How many journals do you need for creative journaling?

Monday, July 1, 2013

Honestly, I don't think there is a specific answer for it. It is entirely up to you and what you feel comfortable most with; it can be 1, 3 or even 4! Fine Arts artists like my sister keep 2- a digital and an actual notebook; digital which is her phone of course that comes with a stylus. 

I am writing this because I recently just noticed that I have been sketching, journaling, scribbling creative insights all over the place.

I have tons of notebooks, sketchbooks, paper after paper, even an organizer, where I write and draw a lot in them. When I am travelling, I bring along another book too for drawing. When I am at home, before I go to bed, I have another journal for me to destress. At work, when I am experiencing writer's block, I open my organizer and doodle in it. So, couple of days back, I asked myself; how many journals do I need?

At first I thought I was being unorganized, and told myself that I should only use ONE sketchbook at a time for my journals. However after awhile, I learned that it doesn't matter how many journals I draw in. Why should I limit myself when what I enjoy most is just doodling away! But to ease things up and be a little organize, I came up with a solution:

At work: Organizer
Instead of getting 'Notes' for my organizer, I got  blank pages so that I can draw and write at the same time.

A masterpiece: Sketchbook/Watercolour sketchbook
I have one which is specifically for me to work my art techniques on it.

At home: Planner
This is really interesting. I recently learned incorporated the concept of having my 'Personal Creative Planner' which includes blank pages for journalling/doodling- words and pictures! In this planner, I include other categories too such as, to-do list, DIY projects planner, basically, lists for me to get organize when I am at home.




A creative journal is a space for you to express yourself in words and pictures. You can draw, write and scribble away without having to feel self-conscious. It’s a place for you to break free from blockages, and also a space for you to document your creative insights. You can always look back at it for inspirations. In my journaling experience, I have learned that one does not need to worry if the journal is not complete, but the pages should always be available for you to fill it up with your stories.

So it doesn’t really matter how many books or papers I have scribbled in, as long I fill it up and make sure I file it up or keep a record of it, that’ll do.

What about you? How many journals do you need or have? And do you organize them? Do share!

No comments:

Post a Comment