Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pursuing My Passion and Being Practical

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

I feel the need to share this story with you. Before I proceed, I want you to know first that my blog post is not in any way trying to force you to agree with my ways or my beliefs. I only hope that my story can inspire you in your own way, your path, or only if you think it is applicable to you.

Recently I was given an opportunity to work with an award-winning international advertising company. I was always aware that this company is an ad agency that is sought after by many people, whether it is to seek their service or to be hired by them.

When I received the news that I was headhunted, I was of mixed emotions. I wasn’t even sure what I was feeling because I never expected to have such an opportunity given to me.

I remember the day I got the call, I quickly told my love about it. I shared the news with a few people, and naturally most of them were happy but also said to me “What are you waiting for? Grab this chance of a lifetime!”

The part “chance of a lifetime” struck me the most. I was confused and taken aback at first, but after all, I stopped and realized that whatever this person was saying, was out of social system influence.

Looking back at my life, I used to feel unworthy of having good things coming my way. When I graduated with a diploma in advertising, I was probably the only one among my college mates to land a job in a retail craft store crafting away instead. The rest of them seem sure of their path. In college, I was only awed by famous advertising agencies only because of social influence by my classmates and lecturers. I never really thought of making a career in an agency. 

Years later, it took me a lot inward experience and overcoming certain fears to make me take up a job as a copywriter. Surprisingly, I never look back ever since then. In fact, I became good at what I do. Eventually it occurred to me that the reason why I became good at what I do was because of my interest in writing and how much I enjoy being surrounded by everything art-related (it is an art college after all). My love for it reflected in my performance, and after that I managed to find my balance in maintaining my rice-bowl (income) with my truest passion- art and creativity! Then I discovered, the more I love what I do, the better I become at it, and the more income I generate. It was all pure logic to me!

So, coming back to that part, “chance of a lifetime”; I remember how confused I felt because how can this headhunted job be a chance of a lifetime when I never once planned to make a career out of being a copywriter in an advertising agency? Even if I do switch jobs, it will only be because my truest passion takes me there. But what more can I asked for? I am already surrounded with creative-related things and work everyday, that allows me to learn more about communication art & design.

For a week plus, I held this dilemma to myself. Even though I pretty much knew what my decision was, nonetheless there was still a feeling of uncertainty. After much thought and sharing how I felt with my kind boss, she said to me, “If you think you are already in the midst of doing what you love, why don’t invest more effort and time in it to further yourself in what you enjoy doing most.”

That’s when I realized. I always knew what I wanted to do in my life and what I was meant to pursue. I now realized that I am already here and now doing what I love and what I have always wanted to do. I have a dream, and I want to go far with it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not being a hippy either by not being practical. The answer here is balance. I strongly believe that you can still pursue your passion and still be practical. 

Yes, being in a corporate industry is good money, but honestly, it isn’t for everyone. It really depends on what you want, if it connects with your Self and if you can find balance in it. For one, I acknowledge that it isn’t for me, and just because everyone’s doing it, doesn’t mean I have to do it. Years ago, I would have probably quit my job and went for this instead. But I probably wouldn’t be as happy as I am right now, and to have discovered joy in doing what I love.

As someone wise said to me before “Do what you love, and money will come”. I will never forget that.


So from here now on, if anyone asks me, why I didn’t take the offer; I would say “Because I have a dream. And I am living my dream and I am already making a career out of it.”

I would love to hear your opinion about pursuing passion or being practical. Kindly leave me a comment below.


No comments:

Post a Comment