Tuesday, October 29, 2013

14 Steps on How to Be Happy with the Little Things in Life

Tuesday, October 29, 2013


It is very common for us to complain when things do not go well for us in life; and when things are okay, alright or smooth sailing...we hardly recognize it and give thanks to what we already have in the 'Present' moment.

It seems so much easier to complain and to ramble. It is not wrong to complain, but there are always consequences to an action; therefore too much complaining might lead a person to life of stuck in a rut.

I was in my early 20's when I first started out as a copywriter; I was going through a phase where I was still unsure about what I wanted to do in my life and pursuing my passion seem impossible and far away. I also felt that way because at that time, money was everything to me. This was before I unravel from the money boundaries, and I allowed myself to be govern by the 'idea of money' instead of understanding that money is just a tool. The only reason why money is powerful it is because we give power to it and believe that its power is to rule.

I had a false impression that when you have no money, you are not entitled to do anything in life. No holidays, no enjoying life to the fullest, no privileges, no this and that and all the complains you can think of.

I wasn't born with a silver spoon you see; growing up I was taught to be independent and if I want something I must learn how to earn it on my own with a lot of hard work.

Our principles are passed down from my late grandparents from China; my mother taught me "better to work hard and earn it than to borrow". I suppose that sort of teaching led me to question the social system and the power of matter/money, which has led me to finally understand what it means to be happy with the little things in life.

Anyways, one day I realized that I was tired of feeling unfulfilled. I also noticed that every time I rambled about not having enough money to do what I want, I felt worst. The more I believed that I had no money, the more I had NO money! I was attracting so much negativity that it was getting worst for me day by day, which made me screw up even more! Boo

I was sick of it. And I said to myself, surely there is a way out of this. The answer was simple, it was right in front of me all these while. The answer was basically to learn how to appreciate the little things in life and it starts with Me.

With this self-discovery, I was overjoyed because I finally found my answer to happiness. I didn't even have to spend a dime at all, or look for it else where.

It is all with few simple and easy steps:

1. When someone offers you something (food, a treat, sweet, a ride home, etc.), say thank you and be grateful for it. Good things come in small sizes.

2. When someone compliments you or praises you for your looks, your work or talent, say thank you and be grateful that someone appreciates your existence in this life

3. Yes, bad times do happen, so do good times too; moments in life are never permanent. It is only permanent if you hold on to it. When bad times happen, acknowledge that good times will come by anytime.

4. When experiencing a bad day, treat yourself to something nice and simple like an ice-cream. And tell yourself, you are still standing strong with a healthy body, you are grateful for this.

5. When you are having a good day or something good happens to you, treat yourself too to something nice and simple. It doesn't have to be expensive.

6. Make full use of your phone camera / digital camera and take photos. You don't have to be an expert to do this. Taking photos allow you to appreciate the little things that surround you.

7. When your friends let you down, and you find yourself feeling lonely, don't worry. You have yourself and you are a human being too just like everyone else. Be your own friend and appreciate the quality time with yourself because you deserve it. Being alone doesn't mean loneliness.

8. Enjoy simple pleasures of life such as good food, good weather or good sleep; sometimes not doing anything and just relaxing is a simple pleasure too. Appreciate the moments when you can just lie down on the bed.

9. Enjoy the simplest form of entertainment such as painting, book reading, playing board games, a walk in the park, listening to music, to name a few.

10. Loving nature or your surroundings; take a walk in the park and be in the moment. You will be surprise at the little things in your surroundings that you didn't notice all these while. You will notice beautiful things in its smallest forms like, shape of a leave, details on a flower, ants cooperating with one another and things like that.

11. When spending time with friends, family or a loved one, appreciate the moment that you are in with them. Even if you are out with them alone, or just out for a simple cup of coffee, those moments are still precious.

12. When spending time with your other half, appreciate how simple your date or outing can be. Sometimes it isn't about how expensive the dinner is, or how fancy the night is; it is about being together. Plan simple but fun outings like a picnic at the park, or visit museums and go to town and take photos.

13. When you feel bored as if you have nothing to do, you would be surprise there's actually lots of things to do. You can either not do anything and just relax. OR you can clean house, sort your wardrobe, watch a DVD on your own, dance to your favourite song, draw, sing out loud, etc.

14. Finally, acknowledge every opportunities given to you; opportunities happen all the time. You may not be aware but once you open your eyes and your mind to see, you will realize how amazing life has to offer you.

We are constantly given opportunities in life in smallest ways, and these are the moments for you to decide and make the right choice. It doesn't have to be a new job with a new pay, it can be, for example: your office is next to an awesome craft shop, and you appreciate that. Your small office has the nicest people to work with, that is an opportunity too. Or like me, where I work comes with an awesome library filled with all kinds of art books, and I am thankful for that. If your boss sends you for a seminar, or gives you a chance to meet new people in the industry, appreciate that too!

These are the simple pleasures in life, and I hope that you can add your own too to this list. I'd love to hear what's yours.

2 comments:

  1. I like this post :)
    simple pleasures in life can achieve through helping those need your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my favourite reader. =) It is always so nice to hear from you. And thank you for adding to this list! Yes indeed, sometimes when you help others, it's not only about feeling good about helping others; but it feels as if you have just gotten to know yourself even better.

      Delete