Monday, June 8, 2015

Meet Creative: Shirleen Jeweliciouss

Monday, June 8, 2015

It is already the month of June in year 2015; I am amazed by how time flies and finally, it is a new chapter for The Artsy Craftsy because I have decided to go pro with my blog.

To begin this new journey, I would like to start the month by introducing you to Shirleen Thoo- a Jewellery Designer of Shirleen Jeweliciouss, all the way from the pearl of the orient.

I love Penang because it is another quick getaway besides travelling to other holiday hotspots. Penang is just as therapeutic and magical as any other islands, and Georgetown itself is famous for its creative exposure- which is why there are so many emerging creative people, just like Shirleen herself. Fantastic!

Besides being a jewellery making enthusiast, Shirleen is also an active blogger for a blog called 'Crisp of Life', whom she shares with her other half, mainly blogging about food and travel. Shirleen also enjoys photography, mostly animal & street photography. Read on to find out how this engineer, blogger and crafter maintain a balanced creative lifetsyle. Enjoy!

Name: Shirleen Thoo
Location: Penang, Malaysia

--

1. What is your day-to-day like as a creative person? How do you juggle your tasks, projects and personal life?

I spend most of my time during weekday working as an Engineer. After I get home, I will work on my jewellery site, updating my social media and remaking jewellery for orders. I enjoy weekends the most as I have the full day to focus on designing more jewelleries to share with you all.




2. All creative people have their own toolbox. What’s in yours and what are your favourite tools?

My toolbox is filled with pliers, chains, cords, charms, and beads. My favourite tools would be gemstones, crystals and pearls.


3. Fill in the blanks and complete this sentence: "Whenever I am _________, I am _________."

“Whenever I am creating jewelry I am a happy girl”


4. Describe your creative work with just 3 words:
Glamour, romance, definitive


5. They say creative people are eccentric. Sometimes are called “weird”; so, how weird can you get?

I guess my weirdness would be I love to play mix and match, jewellery stacking with my handmade jewellery and my outfit. Then, I force my boyfriend to help me capture AOTD (accessories-of-the-day). Of course, it is then shared on Shirleen Jeweliciouss’s Facebook page and instagram.


6. Name your top 3 favourite books for ideas:

I don’t have favourite books but I usually grab ideas from Magazines, Pinterest and Etsy site.


7. Music mixes are awesome! What’s your music playlist when you are creating & making art?

I usually have some pop music played, mostly sentimental and soft music which makes me feel calm but emotionally in a good way.


8. How do you organize your creative ideas & inspirations for reference?

I don’t have specific ways in organizing my ideas, I let it flow freely. I always keep it in mind when something interesting caught my attention. That something could be anything from my surrounding or what happens in my life.


9. What is your favourite place to go to for inspirations?

Fashion, accessories, bazaar and decorative stall. I need to be surrounded by pretty stuff to inspire me to create more beautiful trinkets.


10. I SPY with my little eye:  Who’s your favourite creative person (artist/crafter/baker, etc.)?

Chen Ji Dong, the photographer behind Sexy Trend.


11. If you didn’t discover this creative interest, what would Life be for you?

I would be living without the courage to explore what is beyond.


12. How has your creative passion inspired you?

My creative passion inspired me to explore more possibilities and have faith in what I love to do.



13. What was the most difficult part of running a creative biz?

The difficulties is that I am a one-man-show in the business. I have to stay creative in designing, work on jewelry remaking, pick up photography, photo editing skills, handle marketing & customer service and engaging in social medias.


14. What sort of lessons have you learned from this creative experience?

It is not easy to start design and get people to accept my designs. It takes time to build up your confidence which then convince the customer that my jewellery is worth the investment to enhance their outfit. Just be clear on my goals, don’t give up easily and work on achieving my goal although it may take years.



15. What is your Kung Fu style to fight creative blockages?

I usually let myself take a break. For instance, enjoying a cup of hot coffee, read some non-jewellery related books and play with my dogs. Just pull myself out and do something else to free my mind.

“Trust your taste, accessorize your style”

16. Give the readers some love! Do you have any tips, advice or words of wisdom?

Be positive, be patient and trust your instinct. Always believe in yourself that you can make a difference. Just like my Shirleen Jeweliciouss tagline “Trust your taste, accessorize your style”


17. Daydream mode ON! How do you visualize yourself 5 years from now?

I would be a very successful and inspiring jewellery crafter, running events providing jewellery customizing services and opening classes. Most importantly, being the top pick of choice when people are looking for jewellery to match their daily or evening outfit.


1 comment: