Thursday, January 31, 2013

How to Upcycle Your Clothes

Thursday, January 31, 2013

I love clothes and I love fabrics. At one time, I have to admit, I was obsessed with the fabric, pattern and colours of clothing, and would hoard it even if it is not my size. And so, after spending so much energy on collecting all the “attractive” clothes I can find, I also ended up facing a dilemma of being a total clutter.

What are my Dilemmas:
1. Throwing away is probably not the best idea; money has been wasted, along goes with the energy put in by the creators of the apparels.

2. Donating it might be a good idea, but what if when there’s some form of sentimental value or personal attachment to it? one just has to instantly look for a solution, like me.

3. What about selling it as Pre-loved items, you’d ask. Well, what if you have also felt troublesome to snap pictures of your dress at different angles, load it up and measure it every time someone enquires?

And so, just like every girl with a wardrobe dilemma, I too have all three of the mentioned issues. 

Can’t Even Fit it over my Head!
If you are facing this problem, you are probably experiencing dilemma No.2.
You see, it has been sometime I have been keeping my baby tees that are tad too small for me. And these baby tees are from my college days- it has been 8 years and I am still keeping them, not because I am hoping that I will be able to shrink and fit in them again, but because I love the fabric, colours and pattern that I find it such a waste to get rid of it.

After much thought, here is my solution:
1. Cut it up!


2. Make fabric remnant pieces out of it


3. Make strings out of the other cut-up pieces 


4. Roll the fabrics up and tie em' with the fabric-strings!


Repeat this process with all your other unwanted clothes
Stash them neatly in a bag or somewhere convenient,
and you are ever ready to craft!



*Photos credits to SL Art & Photography 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment