Saturday, April 20, 2013

How to make a I Am Creative Journal

Saturday, April 20, 2013
I AM Creative Journal
DSC_1446
For some of you who might not know, well, I happened to work in a humble advertising agency. When I am at work, the word ‘Creative’ is often brought up or used in conversations. It mostly goes like “try to create something creative” or “be more creative in your work” etc. etc.

First of all the sentence itself is vague, second, the word creative has lost its profound status. So, I asked myself this question a lot; Aren’t we all are already Creative? How much more Creative do we need to be? And how can we BE creative when we already are creative in our own way?

As soon as I realized this, it dawned on me that it is no wonder all my life I tried so hard to BE creative without realizing it is already ME. We tend to draw that “line” separating our individual-selves and the idea of “being creative” as if it is something that needs to be achieved; when really it is already us, in us, part of us.

When we believe that we are not creative, we think that being Creative is only for those who are good in art/drawing, or one need to undergo formal education training to become a Creative person. And that idea too, has led many people to falsely believe that they are not good enough/not talented; thus, begin the journey of your everyday-routine life, which also lead to low self-esteem.

For this, I strongly recommend journaling; reminding yourself who you truly are and loving yourself while knowing it is not about being self involved for that matter.

Self Acknowledgement with an I AM journal page
DSC_1430I find journaling helpful in making myself see that I am creative in my own way. As a child to an adult, we forget who we are, what we are good at, and our important presence in this world, female or male. All it takes is for some Self-Acknowledgement of what you are, and who you are.

I AM journal page helps you acknowledge yourself.

Again, in creative journaling, there are no right-ways or wrong-ways. In fact you are not even suppose to worry about techniques or methods. In my opinion, I find that planning helps because you need to decide what sort of art materials/medium you want to use or combine.

For me I used:

1-Soft pastel, black markers and one piece of Silver Star embellishment to stick on my page
2-Plenty of colours; feel free to express yourself with colours without limitations
3-It can be a painting or words or both!


What is an I AM journal page?
DSC_1442
I AM is about self-acknowledgement

I AM helps you know who you are and what you are

I AM helps you get to know your true Self

I AM helps you remember who you are

I AM helps remind you and your dreams and ambitions

I AM helps you stay true to your Self


A little guide for you to create your own I AM page
DSC_1440When you are doing this part for your I AM page, I ask that you do not hold back from listing out things about you or your self. The idea here is to be UN-self conscious about it, because no one is here to judge you and neither should you judge your self.

1-list out what you are and your qualities (mother, daughter, woman, sister, kind, empathy, considerate, making people laugh, etc.)
2-list out your interest (cooking, painting, writing, reading, etc.)
3-list out your talents/skills (organizing/systematic, writing poems, etc.
4-start putting outlining the details: I AM Teacher, I AM Thinker, I AM Guardian, I AM Happiness, etc.

DSC_1439 DSC_1443 DSC_1444 DSC_1445

You can keep doing this page as often as you want. You can even make it into a small booklet and go through it everyday as a reminder to you. May you find joy in doing this journal page, and hopefully will find ways to expand and explore your journaling ideas in this particular theme. Happy creating!

Photos via

No comments:

Post a Comment