Friday, October 18, 2013

Burn out is normal, stress is okay, remember yourself

Friday, October 18, 2013


Have you ever tried juggling many jobs or tasks in one time, even though you know you enjoy what you do? But at the same time you are drained out, tired as hell and dying for just a couple of days break.

I never thought that I'd say this, but ever since I started doing focusing on my work, freelance writing and blogging (also the painting and crafting), I have been working a lot.

It is that time of the month again and lately, I have been swamped with deadlines after deadlines; not to mention, blog post schedules and what not. Here's a rough idea on what my day to day is like-

I get up, go to work, juggle meetings, writings, discussions and follow ups.

I get off work, go for dinner, if I am lucky I might be able to catch a movie or watch some TV series online. Then I'll be working on my freelance or my blog.

Some days, I like to spend sometime alone after work; I'd go home, have dinner, watch FRIENDS or listen to music while I paint, make something, journal or do some housework.

But most of the time, I am basically working hard. This goes on and on and sometimes it gets overwhelming. And I cannot help it but to question my intentions, why am I doing it? Who am I doing it for? What am I doing it for? I check with my intentions because I like to see if I am on the right track. I don't see it as I am doubting myself, unless my gut feeling tells me so.

---

As much as I enjoy my work-life balance, I still experience the occasional burn out.

Someone once asked me before, how do I do it? Honestly, I don't really know. There's no how-to really. I just got into it, and do it, and realize I am in this already and then I decide to improve my ways hereafter.

To say I don't have a choice would not sound appropriate because no matter what we do in life, we always have a choice. Every moment and action is a cross road, and we make our decisions then on. Like an old school fantasy game quiz in story books- "you see come across a wooden door, but no one is around. Do you...

A. Open the door
B. Pass. Better not to know.

You choose A. Open the door. You are now in a room of secret wonder and you see a large treasure chest..." you get what I mean.

---

My point is, with so many things on hand, yes I do burn out. Whenever I burn out, I get sad, stress out, sometimes I get agitated and probably throw a little tantrum or too ( I am still human after all). But then I'd give myself a little Me-time too and then I'd mellow down a bit and get back to where I am again.

Maybe you might think this is silly of me, maybe not. But my point here is, try to acknowledge those moments and emotions when you are experience burn out/drain out moments. Don't kiss them good bye. Say Hi to them! Welcome them! It is your body's way of telling you to stop and re-energize.

Trust your body. Trust yourself.

I have some of my friends asking me why don't I ever meet them, or go out? Or why am I always spending time with my love or working- almost as if I don't have time. It is like this; it's not that I don't go out with friends or have a social life- it is just that I have reached a certain point in my life that I understand the cycle of how people come and go, so are friends.

I also understand that this is a natural part of life- death, break up, friendship fall out, drift apart, etc. When these things happen, it doesn't mean that you are missing out on something in your life, because what matters most is Me, My Self and I.

Far from being self-centered by the way.

When you grasp this idea that it is normal for people to come and go, believe it or not, they stay closer to you in your heart. You will never lose them, neither will you miss out on them.

Trust your heart. Trust yourself.

---

Every time I experience burn out, I tell myself "today I am going to eat a good meal, pamper myself to an ice cream, watch a good movie, and drop everything to rest." I do not feel bad for it at all and I do not need to apologize for it.

I drop everything even when I have crazy deadlines to meet and work to attend to; my logic is that if I am not in a right frame of mind, I won't be able to focus. And when I can't focus, I screw up and make mistakes.

That's why I stop everything, focus on my well being and get back to work when my body and heart tells me I am ready to work.

---

I trust my body, it is part of me ever since I was born. I was given this vehicle, it comes with my skill, intelligence and talent. The more I bond with myself, the more trust I build, the more focus I am.

Burn out is normal. Everyone goes through it, and it's just your body's way of communicating with you.
It is also okay to feel stress, it comes and go and it is never permanent. That's the logic and truth behind it.

Most importantly, remember yourself.


*I owe you my readers, my regular Friday posts. I am now experiencing burn out too.

No comments:

Post a Comment